Thursday, July 26, 2012

New work space.

Are you ready?

Are you ready to see this awesome desk? It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it. It's not officially 100% done though. I want to add something to the side, and potentially the front (side without all the drawers). I can't fully make up my mind as to what I want to design for it though, so it will stay as is for now until that magic light bulb goes off above my head! 

Just to refresh your memory as to what it looked like before....


A lot of work went into this baby. 

The top was kind of gross, the drawers were all marked up (inside & out), but overall it wasn't in too bad of shape. The top needed a very good sanding. Instead of painting it, I stained it. I was very proud of myself, it was my first time staining. The wood was beautiful, I just wanted to enhance it. I used a red mahogany for it. The drawers (which I didn't take a picture of, and I'm too tired to do it now -I'm sorry-) are a deep navy blue on the inside. This eliminated all the marks everywhere and gave it a cleaner look. 

With the paint I did several things. I couldn't decide on one blue, so I used three! I sprayed a very light blue for a base coat to cover everything. Then painted (with a brush) a bit darker blue on top of that. Once that dried I used a different light blue to even all of the color out. Once that was all dried I went over the whole piece with a tea stain glaze. 

Like I said before, I was having a hard time with what to do with the drawers. I had tried several different things before deciding on this. Once they were painted, I did the tea stain glaze on them as well. If you know me, you know I LOVE color. My house (specifically my living room) needs more of it. I love the colors I went with, they will tie into other pieces that will be in the room. Plus this is my art desk! It needs to be awesome! 

I can't wait to set this up in our 'new' living room once we move!!! 

So without further hesitation, here it is....





So I think it's safe to say, it's a little bit different, and a little bit more awesome! :) 





6 comments:

  1. Wow. What a transformation!! All the drawers look like they are smiling at me now. Great center peice for a room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing! So cute. Reminds me to take a second look at 'ugly' furniture. I'm working on a few refinishing projects myself at the moment. Do you prefer painting with a brush or spray paint? Or does it depend on the piece?

    ReplyDelete
  3. omgoodness lady... This is absolutely amazing!!! I love love love love it!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies!

    To be honest painting totally depends on the project with me. Spray paint is awesome because it's faster and you get great, even coats. With a brush you are more in control, especially when it comes to tricky areas, and fine details! I like to mix it up a bit though, like I did with this project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wicked good

    ReplyDelete