Monday, July 16, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have to share a new furniture project! 


I found this piece over a year ago. It just sat for so long because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. By the time I figured it out, I was overly pregnant, and had put a lot of projects on hold.


When looking for furniture I don't really care what the exterior of it looks like. I care about wood quality, shape, and design. There is so much you can fix and change. Color, hardware, texture; all easily changed. A friend saw this specific piece on the side of the road and called me saying we needed to pick it up! We went like creepers, asked if it was definitely trash, and took it. The guy looked at my like I had two heads, wanting his trash. The design of it was just so beautiful though. I was in love with it's sexy legs. 


This beautiful thing was in really rough shape. Scratched all on the top, edges chipped, cracked, potentially even chewed on. It was covered in paint splotches, and had little gouges here and there. 


Here is what the top looked like before lots and lots of work. 



I didn't take a picture of the legs, but I'm sure you can imagine. This is what they started to look like once the whole painting process began.


After lots of sanding, some wood putty, more sanding, paint, paint, paint, 'weathering', and glazing, it was time to add some awesomeness. 

If I am going to be putting any quote up in our house, I want them to be very meaningful to our little family. I decided to put:

 "Replace fear of the unknown, with curiosity." 

I just love it. I think it is a great motto for little ones. Actually, it's pretty great just in general, not just for kiddos! Well, I'm pretty sleepy, so I will just get to it, and share the final beauty. Now PLEASE keep in mind this beautiful piece was FREE! Most of the paint that I used, I already had. It may have cost me $10 tops to make this look the way it does. 

Really quick before my little reveal, I just have to give a shout out, and a big thank you, to the wonderful Jennifer Esparza! She is a pretty amazing photographer at  
Life.Love.Birth Photography, and you should definitely check out her work (go look at my little man over there -- she did a great job capturing his cuteness!) 


Now the moment you have been waiting for. I am super excited, and totally in love. Some of you have already seen some of the beauty. Once a piece is officially done though, it's like a little bit of magic has been sprinkled on it! 




There you have it. My new love. 

Tune in tomorrow to see what I finished up today!!! :) 







1 comment:

  1. oh goodness this is so awesome! These pics are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete